Join a leading global network of cities and regions committed to sustainable urban development
- Connect with the most ambitious and committed cities around the globe advocating for a sustainable future.
- Work alongside over 1 750 member cities and regions.
- Collaborate with fellow game-changers to ensure the supporting framework for cities is high on the political agenda.
- Join ICLEI’s various networks and initiatives, including:
- CitiesWithNature is a unique global initiative that recognises and enhances the value of nature in and around cities across the world.
- It provides a shared platform for cities, experts and communities to connect and learn from each other, working with shared commitment towards a more sustainable urban world.
Covenant of Mayors in Sub-Saharan Africa (CoM SSA)
- CoM SSA supports Sub-Saharan cities in their fight against climate change and in their efforts in ensuring access to clean energy.
Procura+ Africa Network
- The Procura+ Africa Network is one of three regional Procura+ networks supported by ICLEI.
- It connects cities in Africa with a strong global community of local governments implementing sustainable public procurement. This takes place through in-person meetings, webinars, and where possible study tours for focused in-person learning.
Building Efficiency Accelerator (BEA)
- BEA is a public-private collaboration that turns global expertise into action to accelerate local government implementation of building efficiency policies and programmes.
100% Renewable Energy (100%RE)
- The 100% RE Cities and Regions Network, run by ICLEI, accelerates the renewable energy transition by bringing networking, peer learning, technical guidance and the latest renewable energy research and findings to participants.
- Gain from the broad knowledge and expertise within the ICLEI network through our training and consultancy services aimed at developing local sustainability strategies and solutions.
- Tackle challenges and share solutions alongside ICLEI’s worldwide network of local government representatives, through workshops, webinars and conferences.
- Elect political representatives that define the global strategic direction of the entire network.
- Guide global leadership through our governance boards and influence advocacy positions in climate negotiations and other key decisions.
- Host a global or regional event in your city that attracts a variety of cities, experts, partners and media.
- Engage in global processes and platforms, including those of the United Nations.
- Contribute to the design and pilot phases of international campaigns and projects.
- Test and develop sustainability measures and tools that further help cities in achieving their sustainability goals.
- Lead in pioneering global projects and serve as role models to cities around the world.
- Speak at high-level events to advance the interests of local and subnational governments on the global stage.
- Feature your impactful work on our websites and in our newsletters, media releases, case studies and other publications.
- Funding – access grant and travel funding within ICLEI projects and programmes and connect with the ICLEI network around the world.
- Support – access ICLEI’s leading tools, technical reports, methodologies, case studies and associated support to achieve your sustainability goals.
- Training – access capacity-building and skills-transmission initiatives through projects and programmes led by our multidisciplinary teams.
Capacity building and training (online / in-person)
- LBSAP development and ensuring vertical integration with NBSAPs (two day course)
- Climate change 101: Why tackling climate change is essential in cities
- Climate finance
- How to enable multi-level governance for the achievement of climate resilient development
- How to utilise urban natural assets to build climate resilience
- How to build climate resilience in coastal cities
- How to enhance disaster preparedness via city planning
- How to mainstream nature-based solutions that build climate resilience within city planning and decision making
- Greenhouse gas emissions inventories
- Vulnerability assessments
- Climate change plans – mitigation, adaptation and energy access (includes target setting)
- Ensuring climate change plans comply with global initiatives such as the Global Covenant of Mayors and regional initiatives such as the Covenant of Mayors in Sub-Saharan Africa
- Assist cities with reporting climate change actions into global reporting systems, such as the merged CDP-ICLEI reporting platform
- Vehicle emissions reduction strategies
- UNDRR Disaster Risk Reduction scorecards
- Disaster Risk Reduction strategies and action plans
- LBSAP development
- Thematic Atlas development
- Food systems policy development
- Invasive species control and management plan development
- Integrated catchment management plan development
STAY UP TO DATE
- Stay informed about the latest innovation trends and developments, as well as opportunities.
- Get the latest information and ideas that shape the sustainability landscape – up-to-date information on global advocacy processes, thematic webinars, technical advancements and local sustainability leadership.
- Get global news updates, thematic newsletters and advocacy updates.
- Full membership: If you would like to apply for full membership of ICLEI you can apply online or download a printable application form and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Download English Download French Download Portuguese
- Associate partners: Associate partners and corporate partners are not full members but have impactful and long-lasting partnerships with ICLEI. They facilitate dialogue with local government and knowledge transmission in line ICLEI’s mission statement and mandate.
- For queries about applications, fees or any other questions, please contact our Membership Office at email@example.com.