Designed to complement existing city network efforts, the BEA global partnership:
- Provides tools, expertise and technical capabilities to local and regional governments matched to city priorities.
- Provides a venue for engagement with private sector partners.
- Assesses and prioritises locally-appropriate building efficiency policies and actions.
- Tracks action and documents progress, and shares lessons learned.
- Engages with cities based on the needs of the city and the activities that the partnership can provide in each location.
ICLEI Africa encourages local governments to implement the following actions to accelerate building efficiency:
- Compile building efficiency codes and standards
- Set energy improvement targets
- Encourage performance information and certifications
- Explore mechanisms to incentivise and finance building efficiency
- Lead by example
- Engage private sector building owners, managers and occupants
- Engage technical and financial service providers
- Work close with utilities