Re-imagining the future of urban mobility in African Cities
18 September – 18 October 2020
Join us and share your efforts, ideas, activities and upcoming events that are shaping sustainable mobility systems in African cities. All ideas and actions are welcome!
At a glance
AfricanMobilityMonth (AMM) advocates for people-centred, low carbon and resilient mobility that contributes positively to urban citizen’s health and wellbeing by promoting sustainable and equitable mobility and transport in African cities.
This month-long social media campaign seeks to elevate mobility trends, projects, and initiatives implemented by ICLEI Africa, local governments and mobility partners across the continent.
This digital platform provides the space to share knowledge, experiences and resources as well as coordinate events and activities such as car-free days and open streets to celebrate the importance of urban mobility for liveable, connected cities.
- Streets for walking and cycling (ITDP & UNHABITAT, 2018)
- Re-spacing Our Cities For Resilience (ITF, 2020)
- Ethiopia NMT Strategy (ITDP Africa, 2020)
- iNUA #10: Open Streets: Streets for People (OpenStreets CT, TUMI, GIZ, 2019)
- SUTP: Car-free Development (GIZ, 2005)
- The TOD Standard
- iNUA #3: Gender and Urban Transport (GIZ, 2017)
- SUTP: presenting the Avoid-Shift-Improve approach (GIZ, 2019)
- 10 Principles for Sustainable Urban Transport (TUMI & GIZ)
- A vision for post-pandemic mobility in African cities (Samuel, S., Cap, C. and Casas, MG.,2020)
- Visibility study of Nairobi, Kampala and Addis Ababa reveals big air pollution problems (Singh, A., Pope, F., Avis, WR, 2020)
- Calculating the potential climate value on Non-Motorized Transport projects in African Cities (UNEP, 2019)
- Investment in walking and cycling road infrastructure (UNEP, 2018)
- Toolkit for Child Health and Mobility in Africa
Join the conversation and contribute to the campaign
Share images of your cities and regions, showcasing impactful urban mobility initiatives and projects
Share your thoughts and ideas through case studies, videos, project reports and news articles which explore to the themes below
Share them with us and the broader mobility community by using #AfricanMobilityMonth on Twitter and Instagram
Moving in our cities
What does your city’s mobility system look like? This theme unpacks the complexity of urban mobility and transport systems and the aspects required to create liveable cities that enhance citizen’s quality of life.
Realising low-carbon mobility
What do cities need to transition to sustainable low carbon mobility options for increased socio-economic prosperity and decreased environmental impact?
Active mobility for health and wellbeing
Non-Motorised transport is a primary mode of transport in African cities. This theme unpacks the policy and spatial planning requirements in making walking and cycling attractive while promoting equity, health, wellbeing, social-cohesion and reduced air pollution in African cities.
The logistics that sustain our cities
Goods and services move in formal and informal ways in African cities. How do local governments support these different modes? How can they adopt sustainable alternatives such as ecologistics to advance low-carbon urban freight? This theme explores potential regulatory, planning and logistical instruments?
Business and innovation for sustainable mobility
What are the levers required to realise sustainable urban mobility and transport systems. This theme explores new and unique public-private partnerships and business models which promote sustainable urban mobility and transport through business, innovation and technology
Showcase your city’s mobility initiatives, projects, events & inspiration by sharing images & resources using #AfricanMobilityMonth on social media.
— ICLEI Africa (@ICLEIAfrica) September 7, 2020
– Start of #AfricanMobilityMonth
– Twitter Chat #AfricanMobilityMonth
– World Parking Day
World Car Free Day: Virtual Summit, For more information, see here
World Car Free Day
SA Transport Month
World Habitat Day
RISE Africa webinar: Unpacking inclusive mobility in African cities. Register here
Street Minds Gathering online talks (OpenStreets Cape Town): #StreetsForPeople. Register here
TUMI Podcast Episode 4: Mobility in Africa. Tune in here.
– World Metropolitan Day
– Young Urbanists – a moderated discussion: A vision for post-Covid mobility in African cities.
Ethiopia walking and cycling day organised by the Ministry of Transport. See here for more information.
ICLEI Daring Cities – Active Mobility: Bringing People Together. Register here
ICLEI Daring Cities – EcoLogistics: Achieving low emission urban freight transport. Register here
14 – 15 October
Virtual Indaba: Growing the NMT footprint in the City of Tshwane: It needs all of us (C40 CFF in partnership with The Barefoot Facilitator).
ICLEI Daring Cities – Eco-Logistics Principles: Pathway to sustainability. Register here
ICLEI Daring Cities: The role of Transport for urban resilience – COVID-19, climate emergency and other crises (UN-Habitat online workshop). Register here
27 – 29 October
Smart Africa Mobility Summit. For more information, see here